Friday, February 10, 2012

Be humble


Often times I think when things are going well in life, it is a challenge to stay humble. I know it is certainly that way for me. Although I do believe that it is much easier to stay humble after going through something like cancer.

When I feel myself getting "too comfortable" in life, all I need to remember is how far I have come. A year ago I was finishing some pretty grueling treatments and feeling crumby much of the time, to say the least. It's hard to always be positive and see the "silver linings" in life when you're feeling that way! But I tried to keep in mind that it was temporary and that eventually I would feel myself again. Well, that day did come and I am so thankful to be doing well right now!

The part that humbles me the most is to see my "melanoma comrades" slipping by the wayside--losing their battles to melanoma or perhaps struggling to stay here. It's that part that always puts a lump in my throat and brings tears to my eyes--because that could easily be ME. In fact, that could have been me a year ago if I hadn't responded to treatment. I COULD BE DEAD. Yes, that is a strong statement, but I realize that it could've easily been my destiny. Fortunately for me, I am still here. But the thing is that it STILL CAN be me because with melanoma you are never out of the woods. Where I try to stay humble is knowing that this beast can always find a way back into my body. Melanoma is sneaky like that--some even like to refer to it as the "great masquerader" because it is often unpredictable and erratic. And I personally know this from experience. All I can do is remember that TODAY IS A PRECIOUS GIFT AND THAT RIGHT NOW I AM DOING ALL THAT I CAN.

It's those 3 months scans that come creeping up that make me anxious and worrisome, and often bring me to my knees pleading for peace and comfort. I'm sure God is sometimes sick of hearing, "Please, Heavenly Father, let me continue on this path. Continue to heal me and bless me with another 3 months of clean scans". I sometimes even find myself making "deals" with Him to serve Him in any way he asks of me, so that I can still be here with my boys. ;)

What also humbles me is to think of all the great blessings and tender mercies that my loving Heavenly Father has provided me and my family these last few years. I am often struck with awe when I realize the big things, and more importantly, the little things that He has given me to ease my burdens. I don't know what I did to deserve those blessings and miracles, but I am certainly eternally grateful for them and try to acknowledge every one.

I guess I am glad for these humbling moments because if we didn't remember all that we've gone through and learned, how could we be grateful? How could we look back on our lives and see the Lord's hand in it? How could we progress? Being humble and grateful is the key to our existence, I have realized. If we can do that, I know that we will not only be happier for it, but be able to tackle all obstacles that come in our way.

No comments: