Saturday, July 21, 2012

Relay for Life 2012

Relay for Life was this weekend.  This is our third year participating and our second year as a team.  It is such a neat experience.  I love meeting survivors and hearing their stories.  It is always so inspiring.  This year our team didn't put as much focus on fundraising because we had a lot of other, more important things going on (primarily starting our foundation), so this year the event was really just about having fun and raising awareness for melanoma and skin cancer.


I was asked by the Relay committee to give a speech at the Opening Ceremonies, right before the Survivor Lap kicks off.  You can read my speech here (a few people asked me to post it).  I think it went well because I got a lot of good feedback.  I always love sharing my story with others!  It is very therapeutic.


This year we planned to sleep there, in our tent, behind our booth.  The kids and Eric slept, however, I pulled an all-nighter!  I knew that if I went to sleep and only got 3 hours that I would be an angry bear in the morning, so I decided to just stay up!  It was tough, especially in the wee hours of the morning, but so much fun!  Luckily, I had a great group of friends and teammates to walk the track, watch movies, roast marshmallows, sit and chat in the booth, and pass the time with.


 






















I am so grateful to be apart of this event each year.  It really is such a fun, amazing, and inspiring experience!

No comments: