Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Sad news

About a month ago, I received news that my doctor--my amazing, brilliant, caring, trust-worthy oncologist is retiring at the end of this month (after 38 years of practicing medicine). To say this news was devastating to me is an understatement. The last few weeks I have been reflecting on how blessed I was to have four years under his care. Not only did he save my life, but he played an integral part in helping me stay optimistic and hopeful for the future. From the start, Dr. Minor treated me as an individual and provided me with the BEST level of care. He has never once treated me as a number and given me a prognosis. 
 
It's going to be difficult to trust and love a doctor as much as I love Dr. Minor, but I'm hopeful that the doctor replacing him will be just as great. (He has big shoes to fill though!) My only wish is that I could've had one more visit with him to adequately thank him for all he has done for me. I just hope that I will be lucky enough to someday do that in person. 
 
P.S. The top photo represents me (along with Dr. Minor and his nurse) half way through my treatment in 2010 after we found out the "good news". I was puffy from the drugs, I had no eyelashes and I was beyond exhausted, but getting the news that the drugs were working was the best medicine I could receive. The bottom pic was taken at the MRF gala last year with two of Dr. Minor's other Stage 4 patients and survivors, and dear friends of mine!

 


No comments: