Monday, September 3, 2012

Subtracting, not Adding.



I don't know why, but when I saw this quote on Pinterest, it really struck me.  Sometimes I feel that I have too much going on in my life.  When I start analyzing the things that are "wrong" or not quite right with my life (or maybe just exactly where I want them to be), I often think the solution is to do more, to do better, or to do differently.
 
 
Maybe the answer though is to subtract
 
 
To simplify my life, even though simplifying implies that it will still be busy (how can it not be with two young children?!), is a tough thing to do when you're a mother, a Type A, and always running 100 mph an hour.  The answer might be that I need to go out of my comfort zone (like, WAY out of my comfort zone) and take a step back and slow down.
 
 
This is not a new thing to me.  In fact, I'm pretty sure it's a recurring theme in my life and I'm also certain that I've blogged about this before? ;)  I wouldn't be surprised.
 
 
I think one of my life struggles is trying to slow down.  Cancer definitely taught me at times to do this.  And for a short time, I did slow down.  WAY down.  But that was easy to do then--when I wasn't feeling good during treatments or traveling back and forth to CA so frequently, that I didn't have time to put extra things on my plate.
 
 
But that was then, and this is now.  Am I supposed to re-learn this lesson?  Do I need to slow down?  Some things in our life just aren't going the way we would want or plan them to be.  And yes, I know such is life.  But I feel like we are at a pivital point where big decisions are before us and we need to figure out what to do, where to go with these choices, and most importantly, how to get where we ultimately want to be.
 
 
For now, I am trying to revaluate my life and look at the things that are taking precious time away from the most important things--our family, our relationships, and our goals.  If something doesn't fit into those categories, than I guess it isn't important enough and should be crossed off the list.
 
 
We have all heard the phrase, "There is a time and a season for everything."  Maybe the time now is to slow down and focus on the big things and not the unimportant things.


No comments: