Saturday, December 15, 2012

Prayers for Sandy Hook

 
 
One of the most devasting and tragic events happened today. 26 people, 20 of which were first graders, were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Conneticut in a mass shooting. Their faces will be engraved into my heart forever.


Unfortunately, there have been too of these shootings in the last decade or so. All terrible and tragic, but for some reason, the Sandy Hook shootings struck me emotionally on such a different level, one that I cannot fully put into words. When I heard the news, I couldn't take my eyes off the computer, reading and watching the latest breaking news. I was in tears, MAJOR tears. I just couldn't believe it. How could this happen to such innocent, beautiful, sweet people who have so much life left to be lived? I kept thinking about these little children, all who go to school everyday thinking they are safe and then the unthinkable happens. They are gone. And then I thought about the survivors of that event and what they witnessed and experienced. Horrible. Nobody should have to experience those events, and especially children. And then I thought of these childrens families, who I'm sure sent their children to school that day, just like any other day, not thinking twice about their safety or the fact that they might not see their child again.


My mind wandered all day to what I would do in that situation. I honestly cannot even imagine the pain and sorrow that these families are feeling right now and will continue to feel for a long time. I thought of my own children, one whom is near the age of these school children and I tried to picture that scenario happening to my own child and I just couldn't. It was just...well, unimaginable.

 
All I wanted to do that day was go pick up my son from school and hug him tight and never let go. I wanted him home safe. I wanted him to always know how much I love him and how important he is to our family.

 
Dec. 15th was a tragic day for all of us, I think. I know it hit everyone hard, and for me, it put things in perspective for me once again. With Christmas approaching, I thought about what this holiday is about. I thought about what we are celebrating, and what is most important in life. Gifts, parties, Santa and all the "stuff" that tends to take over at Christmas time doesn't matter. What matters is our families. What matters is the people in our lives. What matters is our relationship with God and his Son, Jesus Christ.


I saw this picture on Facebook, and after feeling such a heavy heart all day, this picture eased my mind and gave me so much peace. I knew that our Lord and Savior was waiting to greet these little children today with open arms and embraces. I knew that these children of God had returned home to live with God and were once again happy. I knew that only through our Savior, can these families' hearts be healed someday. For only He knows what and how we feel and what we go through. Only Jesus Christ can take the pain away and mend our broken hearts with His infinite and unconditional love.
 

I am so thankful for that knowledge. It brings me so much comfort during a time like this. I am also grateful for the reminder of what is important in life, and to never take my family for granted. I was reminded to hold my children closer and always tell them that I love them each and every day.

Life is a gift. We must always remember that.



No comments: