Monday, January 21, 2013

The Big 3-5

35 was a big deal for me this year. Normally, I would cringe at turning another year older (and closer to 'middle age'), but I fully embrace this aging business now. To me, living to see another birthday is a gift and one that I don't take for granted anymore.
 


Almost 3 years ago when I was diagnosed with Stage 4, I remember my doctor at the time telling me I had less than a 10% survival rate surviving more than two years. In my mind, I recall saying the words, "I might not see my 35th birthday" (which was the next milestone birthday) and seriously doubting that I would be around to see this birthday. So, when I started treatment, I told my oncologist, "I just want you to get me to my 35th birthday!"
 
 
Well, here I am and in my opinion, healthier than I have ever been. I feel SO extremely blessed to be alive and healthy today. I don't know what the future holds (but neither do any of us), but I choose to live in the moment and not worry about the future or the unknown. I'm grateful for that perspective that I could've only gained going through something like cancer....

 
 35 is going to be a good year. NOW BRING ON 40!!!



Awhile back, I got this idea on someone's blog, and thought it would be a fun way for my readers (which most I don't know personally) to get know a little more about me! :)

So, here's 35 totally random facts about me:

1.  I eat an obscene amount of garlic.  I put it on everything and I always add double the amount when a recipe calls for it.
2.  I secretly want to take up Latin dancing with my hubbie.  I think it would be so fun!
3.  I can't stand pumpkin pie.  But I love pumpkin bread, cookies, and rolls.
4.  I dream of living abroad for a few years someday.  Australia or Switzerland is at the top of the list.
5.  I am deathly afraid of snails.  I hate admitting to that.
6.  I have a HUGE crush on Hugh Jackman.  My good friend, Lauren, recently wrote him some letters about me, hoping that he would maybe send me something in return!
7.  I have never tasted Nutella and I don't plan to because I think it sounds disgusting!
8.  I often fight the urge to break into a dance while working out and jammin' to my tunes.
9.  I won the 5th grade Spelling Bee at my elementary school.
10.  My greatest hope is to live to my 90's and be happy.
11.  I hate to admit this, but I'm a sucker for reality TV, like Bachelor, Project Runway, Real Housewives, Duck Dynasty, and The Biggest Loser.
12.  I haven't had a soda, such as a Diet Coke in over two years.  I don't miss it.
13.  I am obsessed with having clean kitchen floors because I hate walking on dirty, sticky floors!
14.  If I could be a different race, I would be Brazilian.  I'm not sure why, but I think Brazilian women are beautiful!
15.  When my kids are older, I hope to take my kids on a trip to do Humanitarian work in a third world country.  I think ALL kids in the U.S. need to know how blessed they really are.
16.  Certain food smells give me "food-gasms" such as fresh cilantro and basil, roasted garlic, and homeade apple pie!
17.  I love sleeping with a body pillow and my husband hates it.
18.  I am not a regular flosser, but I have only had 1 cavity in my life.
19.  One of my hugest pet peeves is people who are rude and have no manners.
20.  I didn't have my first "real" kiss until I was 16 years old.
21.  My toes are freakisly long.  Like almost as long as my fingers.
22.  If I could only pick one regret that I have in my life it would be not protecting my skin from the sun adequately enough.  Not only because I was diagnosed with melanoma, but because it has aged my skin.
23.  I want to write a book someday, but I'm not sure my life would be "cool" enough to read about.
24.  My eyes have changed colors in my adult life from dark brown to light brown/hazel.  My eye doctor has no explanation for that.
25.  I am a sore loser.  Especially at the game Phase 10.
26.  I can't say no to a dare (I guess that's the competitve side of me!).  This has gotten me in trouble many times in life!  I have jumped off a 60 foot cliff, wakeboarded nude, kissed 15 guys in one night, and ran topless through a park just to name a few....  ;)
27.  I am really bad at trimming my own bangs.
28.  If I could have any career in the world, it would be to be a writer for a travel publication or a host of a travel show.
29.  I always wanted brothers growing up, but now, I love having sisters!
30.  Whenever I am on top of a mountain or bridge looking down, I get the urge to jump!  (Not to kill myself, but for the thrill of it!)  I have no fear of heights.
31.  I would love to have a one-on-one with Oprah.  I actually think we would have a really interesting conversation.
32.  I have never been to NYC, but it's on the top of my list!
33.  I hope to adopt two kids someday. Maybe even siblings and maybe from a different country.
34.  I want to die my hair red one day just to see what I would look like as a red head!
35.  I have the greatest family and friends on Earth.  Really, truly.  I am such a blessed girl!

1 comment:

sherena said...

Happy 35 Christina !!!! I am so very happy for you that you are another year older!!!

I love your list!! I turned 40 in December - whereas I used to cringe at my birthday -ever since my 29th - which I celebrated 8 times and my 30 once...I embraced 40. Like you I am so very thankful now that I get to see another year go around the sun!!

I am on year 2 of being NED. Like you have had melanoma. Diagnosed with a mole in 2006. Then in my lymph nodes in 2010(December) - operation twice in 2011 - once to remove 13 lymph nodes in my right groin and then again a few months later to remove another tumored area. I did 4 weeks of radiation in that area.

Every year is now a blessing to me. Everyday a Gift!!!
I wish you the best on achieving number 10 on your list. I always want to live till I am 104 ( have no idea why - this has always been my number).

for my 40th - I crossed off 1 on my bucket list - which was to see India. I recently came back from spending 3 weeks there. So very grateful for being able to do this.

Here's to living well into our 90's cancer free and healthy!!!!