Sunday, April 28, 2013

All caught up

Ok, ok, you're probably wondering where I have been the last month or so.  Or maybe you're not because you gave up on me?! ;)  Well, I'm alive and finally caught up on the blog.  (Read below for my newest posts.)  It's been a whirlwind of a month between a couple of short trips (spring break and a weekend getaway with girlfriends), and then of course, my family, our non-profit stuff, and everything else that consumes my life.
 
 
I still feel good though.  Maybe I'm not getting enough sleep on a regular basis (only because I'm so busy!), but healthy nonetheless.  I am happy to just be living a normal life!  The mundane things in life--the shuttling kids to school and practices, the grocery shopping, the cleaning, the church activities--are all things that I enjoy doing because there was a time in my life not very long ago that I wasn't able to do all of those things!  I even remember saying to myself how I wished I could just do normal "mom" things again, just be like everyone else, and have the same worries that anyone in my stage of life would have.  And I love that I can have that again.
 
 
Not that I don't worry about the big "C" word still, because I do.  It is always there in the back of my mind.  But notice how I wrote "back of my mind"?  That's because the cancer worries, the fear, the anxiety of the melanoma returning are in the back of my mind, not the front of my mind.  Cancer used to consume my thoughts everyday, and now it is a fleeing thought, a reminder for certain, but not something I dwell on daily.  Why?  Because I actively choose not to.  I chose to just live my life.
 
 
I have learned to be be exceptionally good at living in the moment, not sweating the small stuff so much, and enjoying life to the fullest, even despite all of its challenges.  These are things that I wasn't good at before I had gone through cancer.  Now, I am better at not worrying so much about the future (because it's unknown and I can't change it), and have learned to embrace living in the now.  It is a beautiful gift and one that I am infinitely grateful for.
 
 
Please read on for more happenings and thoughts!

No comments: